Re: [tor-talk] What is 127.0.69.0?

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 3:25 PM, Hansen Jay <jhanse@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I happened to see some hidden service name resolution that torsocks was giving as 127.0.69.0 which I never read about, so I telnetted to it and it's like another entrance point to Tor, or at least my hidden services(?). I'm a little confused. Can anyone clarify?

Everything on 127.x.y.z. is your local host.

As a trick, Tor can be configured to assign 127.x.y.z  addresses to
hostnames that you ask it to resolve, and later re-map those addresses
to the hostnames you want.  This can be handy for stuff like hidden
services, where there is no actual IP address that you get when you
resolve abcdefghijklmnop.onion.   So when you do a request to resolve
abcdefghijklmnop.onion , Tor can make up an answer (say, 127.192.3.3),
and remember that 127.193.3.3 should mean abcdefghijklmnop.onion for
the rest of your session.

This feature is controlled by the options AutomapHostsOnResolve,
AutomapHostsSuffiixes, and VirtualAddrNetwork.  127.192.0.0/10 is the
default address range it uses here.

You can also create new mappings like this using MapAddress in your
configuration file; your controller can do this too.

The reason that we recommend using 127.x.y.z addresses here is that if
your programs screw up and try connecting to one of them directly (not
over Tor), the traffic is less likely to leave your computer.

hth,
--
Nick