Re: [tor-talk] torsocks, usewithtor, torify questions - end the confusion!

> Please consider updating those pages (wiki can be edited by everyone)
> and submitting trac tickets against the website to fix the mess.

As soon as I figure it out myself! :)

> Torify and tsocks are outdated. Don't bother with it.

OK, but why does Tor deliver torify if that's the case?

>>  However, the manpage for usewithtor says "usewithtor  runs  torsocks(1)  with  the  default  configuration  file, located at /usr/local/etc/torsocks.conf.  Running torsocks(1) directly means that no configuration  file  will  be  used..." If you read the torsocks manpage, it says "If  TORSOCKS_CONF_FILE is not set, torsocks will attempt to read the configuration file at /usr/local/etc/torsocks.conf"
>>
>>  So which manpage is correct? If the torsocks manpage is correct, then usewithtor serves no purpose because it indicates its only purpose is to run torsocks with that config file, right? So why not make sure torsocks works like its manpage says it does and REMOVE usewithtor? End the confusion please!
>>
> Just use usewithtor.
> And to find out where torsocks.conf is, use whereis torsocks.conf

But what's the use of usewithtor if the torsocks manpage is correct? (see my question above) (my torsocks.conf is exactly where those manpages say it is)