Re: [tor-talk] Vidalia error message with TorBirdy

Karsten N.:

> Latest Thunderbird versions enforce STARTTLS if it was selected. The
> weak option "Use STARTTLS if possible" is not available any more in
> Thunderbird. You may use IMAP with STARTTLS, if your provider does not
> offer IMAPS.

I changed to SSL/993 which should be fine now.

But, with the latest discussions about Prism and stuff, how much can you
trust the CAs in web browsers and Thunderbird, after all? Do you think
CAs are safe from NSA´s games? I would be surprised if they were.....

How does SSL work with Imap in general? When I first connect to the imap
server it transmitts its certificate, right? Is the certificate then
stored in Thunderbird or will the certificate transmitted again each
time you connect to imap server? I think, if the cert gets saved in the
mail client, it is _some_ protection against the man in the middle...!?

Thanx