Re: [tor-talk] Will Tor affect Internet Explorer? (newbie question)

On 07/13/2013 08:07 AM, Gabrielle DiFonzo wrote:

> Okay. Now I'm officially confused.
>
> If I download Tor, can't I run it as a separate program from IE? Can
> I run the two programs separately, like the proverbial ships in the
> night?

Yes, Tor is a separate program. But it's more like a canal than another
ship ;)

> Can someone tell me exactly what it means to configure Tor through
> IE? Can't I configure it by itself and continue to use the two
> independently of each other?

It's not Tor that needs to be configured. It's other programs that need
to be configured in order to securely use Tor. And that's not something
that newbies should be doing.

You should at least be using the Tor Browser Bundle, without any
customizations. But that's not really very secure, because the rest of
your computer is still using the Internet naked. It would be safer to
use the Tails LiveCD, or to run Whonix in VirtualBox.