Re: [tor-talk] Will Tor affect Internet Explorer? (newbie question)

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 08:39:15PM -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> It's great that there are so many new people learning about Tor these
> days. But on the other hand, Tor (like security in general) is still
> one of those things that takes some effort to learn about -- you have
> to learn about a lot of other things while you're doing it.
>
> I'd start with
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/documentation#UpToSpeed

It occurs to me that I should clarify here. If you want to be a normal
Tor user, it's good to have a look through the above list, and try to
understand as much as you can. But you don't have to know what a socks
proxy is, or what it means to fork Firefox, in order to be a normal Tor
user. But in that case, you *do* need to just use Tor Browser Bundle or
Tails as-is. That's why we wrote them for you.

It's when you want to do non-standard things, like hook up another
browser to Tor, that you need to learn enough about what's going on to
realize why that's (usually) a bad idea.

--Roger