Re: [tor-talk] Using Mumble with Tor

David Huerta:
> Hey all,
>
> I've put together a guide on how to use Mumble (TCP only!) with Tor if
> anyone would find that sort of thing handy:
> http://huertanix.tumblr.com/post/55261352264/location-anonymous-voice-communication-a-step-by-step.

Thanks for doing that. Seems you're good at writing tutorials. Maybe we
can share/remix? Under which license is your tutorial?

Some time ago I wrote about anonymous Voip as well, although its a bit
Whonix specific, since the confidence of not leaking anything comes from
the Whonix design. Many other points are portable though, it also
includes using Voip clients/ZRTP.

I recommended using a hidden service as mumble server.

https://whonix.org/wiki/Voip

> Some stuff that's been pointed out since posting:
>
> * If someone could monitor the connections being made to the server and
> log which times of the day people were connecting at, they might be able
> to tell when you're asleep and not talking and thus tip off what side of
> the hemisphere you're on, assuming a non-night-owl sleep cycle.

This is a general problem when using pseudonyms.

> * Assuming it can be detected after being filtered/optimized to a pulp,
> the hum of the mains frequency of the electrical grid might tip off
> which country you're in based in.

Yes, and a voice recording of yours leads straight to you (voice
recognition)? I assume the voice of every person has made a
non-anonymous call and been sampled at least once (PRISM), probable a
sane assumption. Comparing that with a voice sample from the anonymous
server, and its no longer anonymous.

In conclusion, I think the only safe use cases for Voip or Tor are
location hiding while not being anonymous; hiding who is talking to
whom; and talking to people you trust while hiding that you are talking
to them and your locations from outside observers.