Re: [tor-talk] NSA, Tempora, PRISM And Company always know who is behind Tor?

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 01:54:24AM +0200, F Fake wrote:
> NSA, Tempora, PRISM And Company can always look who is behind Tor?

No.

> They know the real IP of every Tor user every time they use Tor?

Probably not.

Your first question was "Can Tor defeat NSA, Tempora, PRISM?" and the
answer to that is also no.

This should be the point where you realize that it's complicated, and
you need to learn more about the issues.

You might start here:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2013-July/028851.html
which is the last time I answered this question here. There are a lot
of follow-ups with more details to discuss.

> What about all those people recently suggesting Tor to defeat those? A whole website prism-break.org!

Hey, that looks like a pretty good website on first glance. Kudos to
whoever made it.

> Shouldn't Torproject be more clear about it's limitations? This is not even in FAQ!

You might like
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/prism-vs-tor

And you might also like
https://www.torproject.org/docs/documentation#UpToSpeed

You're absolutely right that we should also take a few weeks to try to
explain Internet security to everybody. These days the questions that
everybody is asking change more often than that. Some of us are opting
to try to focus on making the technology keep up, rather than on making
the education component keep up.

Perhaps somebody here wants to draft a summary?

--Roger