[tor-talk] Tor disconnects and must be restarted while using OpenVPN

Hi,
I'm trying to connect to an OpenVPN server for my general internet traffic but keep Tor for DNS lookups and as a SOCKS5 proxy for a few applications.

I connect to my OpenVPN server and everything works as expected, but after 30-40 seconds (seems to depend on number of requests to Tor?), all Tor requests just time out (incl. Tor DNS requests) and it's unusable. If I restart Tor with "service tor restart" then it will work again for another 30-40 seconds before it disconnects again.
Nothing is shown in Tor's log located at /var/log/tor/log about this.

My iptables rules are:
iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -d 255.255.255.255 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -s 255.255.255.255 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i wlan+ -o tun+ -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i tun+ -o wlan+ -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o tun+ -j MASQUERADE
iptables -A OUTPUT -o wlan+ ! -d *VPNIP* -j DROP

Hope someone can help to resolve this, it's very frustrating. Thanks in advance.