Re: [tor-talk] Tor disconnects and must be restarted while using OpenVPN

On Domingo, 28 de julio de 2013 21:29:08 ef2k wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to connect to an OpenVPN server for my general internet
> traffic but keep Tor for DNS lookups and as a SOCKS5 proxy for a few
> applications.
>
> I connect to my OpenVPN server and everything works as expected, but
> after 30-40 seconds (seems to depend on number of requests to Tor?), all
> Tor requests just time out (incl. Tor DNS requests) and it's unusable.
> If I restart Tor with "service tor restart" then it will work again for
> another 30-40 seconds before it disconnects again.
> Nothing is shown in Tor's log located at /var/log/tor/log about this.
>
> My iptables rules are:
> iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A OUTPUT -d 255.255.255.255 -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A INPUT -s 255.255.255.255 -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A FORWARD -i wlan+ -o tun+ -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A FORWARD -i tun+ -o wlan+ -j ACCEPT
> iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o tun+ -j MASQUERADE
> iptables -A OUTPUT -o wlan+ ! -d *VPNIP* -j DROP
>
> Hope someone can help to resolve this, it's very frustrating. Thanks in
> advance.

Please do a Wireshark (or TCPDUMP) of your Tor packages. Then you may see
where are there going out from.

Things to keep in mind: a VPN should be used for connecting to a set of
addresses only. It can not be your main internet connection, because it needs
to use your internet connection to go out.

Regards

Noel Torres
er Envite