Re: [tor-talk] according to leaked XKeyScore source NSA marks all Tor users as extremists, puts them on a surveillance list

Jacob Appelbaum writes:

> On 7/3/14, Eugen Leitl <eugen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/XKeyscore-Quellcode-Tor-Nutzer-werden-von-der-NSA-als-Extremisten-markiert-und-ueberwacht-2248328.html
> > </kraut>
>
> Here is our larger story (in English) which includes excerpts of source code:
>
>   http://daserste.ndr.de/panorama/aktuell/NSA-targets-the-privacy-conscious,nsa230.html

Does anyone have theories about this part right at the bottom?

   /**
    * Placeholder fingerprint for Tor hidden service addresses.
    * Real fingerpritns will be fired by the plugins
    *   'anonymizer/tor/plugin/onion/*'
    */
   fingerprint('anonymizer/tor/hiddenservice/address') = nil;
   // END_DEFINITION

Does this suggest anything interesting about the ability to determine
either the physical location of a hidden service's service or instances
of people accessing a hidden service?

I also think that it's interesting that there's a category called
"documents/comsec", so the bigger picture is that there's an organized
way to find out about people who are interested in or becoming educated
about COMSEC.  It seems conceivable that documentation that I and other
people here have helped write is a part of other "documents/comsec"
fingerprints.

--
Seth Schoen  <schoen@xxxxxxx>
Senior Staff Technologist                       https://www.eff.org/