Re: [tor-talk] Tor and SSH?

On Mon, 7/14/14, Mirimir <mirimir@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [tor-talk] Tor and SSH?
 To: tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Date: Monday, July 14, 2014, 7:54 PM

 On 07/14/2014 04:17 PM,
 grarpamp wrote:
 > On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at
 4:55 PM, Bobby Brewster
 > <bobbybrewster203@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:
 >> torsocks ssh username@domain.
 >
 > example.com is the
 correct tld for documentation use.

 >> Is there any reason NOT to use
 torsocks?

 > Yes,
 because it is a library shim its behaviour is somewhat
 system
 > and change dependant. Similarly
 'torsocks' and 'usewithtor' are large
 > shell scripts that are hard to cover
 variety cases. Alternative check

 'ssh -o proxycommand socat ...'

 Please say more about setting up the socat
 tunnel with Tor. The socat
 manpage is
 complex, and coverage in
 https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/SupportPrograms
 is
 somewhat confusing.

Agreed - I liked torsocks because it is so simple to use. Socat seems vastly more complex with multiple command line options (TCP4-LISTEN:,bind=,fork,reuseaddr for example). I would like to see a professionally written guide on how to use SSH with socat or al least some accurate instructions for the command line.

For example, in garamp's example above, what does 'proxycommand' actually represent when using Tor?