Re: [tor-talk] Fast and clean free provider for a couple of HTML pages

On 07/16/2014 04:18 AM, Red Sonja wrote:
> Mirimir:
>>>
>>> No matter? Like using a credit card or just your real address?
>>
>> When you're testing, you don't reveal anything that matters.
>
> Right. When I am testing. But for me the server is a black box. I don't
> know what it sees. I don't know what it extracts from my maybe too
> verbose tools. This way I am bound to be in a testing phase at least
> till HTTP and FTP die off.

Using "verbose tools" is only risky if those tools can see anything that
you don't want servers to see. At a minimum, Tor and those tools should
be running in an isolated system (at least a VM) that's never used for
anything that you want kept private. Better is to have the Tor client
and tools, apps, etc in separate VMs, as Whonix does.

>> OK, I have a basic set of iptables rules for Debian that block
>> everything except Tor. But they are undoubtedly not elegant, because
>> my iptables skills are iffy :( I also have instructions for leak testing.
>>
>> However, the whole thing is far too long and involved to post on the
>> list. So, please see
>> http://tor.stackexchange.com/questions/3578/how-do-i-setup-tor-on-debian-for-secure-use-as-a-socksproxy.
>
> Thank you.

>>> Does it work with Wifi?
>>
>> Yes, it should, but I'm not set up to test that.
>
> It works. Only that I barely understand some of the information that
> scrolls in that window. I'm sure most of the people reading this are
> like those guys in The Matrix, reading the code. For me it barely makes
> sense.

For WiFi, just change the Wireshark captures from eth0 to whatever your
system's WiFi adapter is called.

That's partly my style. I include every instruction, assuming very
little knowledge. While it may seem complicated, it's actually very
simple. Just do each step, exactly as it's written.

Also, working with VMs is a great way to learn, because at worst you'll
be just trashing a VM. You can start by creating a basic VM, running
updates, installing tools, tweaking, etc. Then do actual work with
clones of that basic VM. Starting over after trashing a VM just takes a
few minutes.