Re: [tor-talk] Spoofing a browser profile to prevent fingerprinting

There are some built-in protections in TBB that keep honored requests for
known fingerprinting data to a minimum, so the TBB does not function like a
normal browser in this instance.

It most notably limits the high entropy factors -- responses for fonts and
plugin microversions. And as long as you obey the nice Tor devs and don't
install any additional plugins, then plugin microversions won't be
unique/identifiable either. So enabling JS really isn't quite as big of a
step out into the light as it would be in say Chromium or Firefox, which
has no protections against HTML5 canvas fingerprinting (or anything by
default) for instance.

So if allowing at least some JavaScipt is inevitable, then I think the Tor
devs have the right idea -- assume that some use of JS is a foregone
conclusion and protect the users from the additional exposure to
fingerprinting in a way that makes them all look as similar as possible.

If the user prefers to have more privacy / security by forsaking some
anonymity by disabling JavaScript and thereby making him/herself
identifiable as a smaller subset of overall Tor Browser users, that's
his/her option. But in that instance, said user should probably be using
Tails to remedy those sorts of problems since Tails addresses even more
fingerprinting issues.

All the best,

Ben