Re: [tor-talk] Spoofing a browser profile to prevent fingerprinting

I appreciate all the time and effort you put into your response and I agree
that we must use facts not feelings to discuss the issue at hand. As a
thought experiment: what is the *maximum* amount of personally identifiable
information that can be exfiltrated from a user's browser without
compromising his/her anonymity?

With regard to 33 bits of entropy being the critical mass of positive
identification, are the sources you're citing?
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/01/primer-information-theory-and-privacy
/ http://www.law.yale.edu/documents/pdf/ISP/Lee_Tien.pdf

Those studies appear to be talking about identifying individuals and less
re. browser fingerprints. Based on the (very) basic data below, my
fingerprint in FF with JS enabled was "unique" out of the >4M browser
samples thus far but "only" revealed 22 bits of entropy. This tells me that
33 bits of entropy is significantly more than what is necessary to
positively identify a user.

I am definitely not the person to make decisions here one way or the other,
I just wanted to give my opinion of the relative benefits of leaving
JavaScript enabled by default and the "blend in" theory promulgated by the
TP devs thus far. But here are some numbers that I just collected that
perhaps could be of use to you. This test was done with the latest TBB
(3.6.3) and Firefox versions on Linux (Fedora), with both JS on and off:

FF (private browsing) / JS disabled = 16 bits (not "unique" - one in 65,487)
FF (private browsing) / JS enabled = 22 bits ("unique" out of >4M samples)
FF (normal browsing) / JS disabled = 15.98 bits (not "unique" - one in
64,524)
FF (normal browsing) / JS enabled = 21.07 bits (not "unique" but one in
2,193,824 [roughly 2 matching entries in the sample]... so the other data
point may well have been me...)
TBB / JS enabled = 12.06 bits (not "unique" - one in 4,260)
TBB / JS disabled = 9.05 bits (not "unique" - one in 529 are same)

TBB was fresh -- I literally verified the download, ran the 'start tor
browser' script, clicked "connect" and went directly to panopticlick.eff.org
to run the test with JavaScript on first (default TBB setting) and then
turned it off globally to run it again within a minute or two of each other.

The "unique" verbiage I added in parentheses above is in reference to the
blurb on the page about whether or not your fingerprint is "unique" among
their samples thus far of collected fingerprints. And of course this is
only Panopticlick, so take that into consideration.

You seem to be getting higher numbers overall, so perhaps there is
something materially dissimilar about our systems that is causing the gap.
I don't have Flash or Java installed at all, so perhaps that's limiting
things somewhat. I also have a handful of plugins.

In other words, I don't know what the *minimum* amount of identifying
information is sufficient to deanonymize a user, but I'd love to know and
see how TBB with and without JS respectively.

Thanks to all for everything you do.

Best,

Ben