Re: [tor-talk] Doctor's possible sybil attack report from 2015-07-02 - 'cloudvps' (XL Internet Services)

Hi nusenu,

I'm glad you asked. Why don't they have the exit flag? It probably has
something to do with MinMeasuredBWsForAuthToIgnoreAdvertised being 500
by default. If you look at consensus-health [0] you see much more than
500. This means, and I'm only quoting the spec [1], that these relay
need measured bandwidth to have a weight assigned to them. In the
absence of a consensus weight (note they're all zero), these relay
have 0 probability of being chosen. So they need to respond to a
bandwidth scan, and they haven't.

[0] https://consensus-health.torproject.org/#bwauthstatus
[1] https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/dir-spec.txt#n1895

Is it any consolation that the running relay are, by default, in two
family? 85.222.0.0/16, and 213.187.0.0/16 form a family by default in
tor (unless EnforceDistinctSubnets is 0).

Regards
--leeroy