Re: [tor-talk] pdf with tor

On Thu, 9 Jul 2015 01:41:44 -0700
Apple Apple <djjdjdjdjdjdjd32@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I feel like the wrong issue is being discussed here; the real danger is not
> really IP leaks. If you skipped Seth's post because of its length I suggest
> you go back and read it.

I did read it.

> If someone manages to trick your PDF viewer into running arbitrary code
> with a malicious PDF file, that person may then have full control over your
> machine and all your files, passwords, emails etc. In this situation Tor
> cannot protect your privacy and anonymity anymore.
>
> This is why the Tor project provides the stringent recommendation of
> dedicating an isolated virtual machine to opening PDF files.

Yes, but you still have to remember to use a virtual machine every
single time, you read that PDF file - whether you are worried about IP
leaks or insecure PDF readers. If you convert it to a safer format in
an isolated environment, you are safer if you forget to use an isolated
environment, next time you read it.

--
Niels Elgaard Larsen