Re: [tor-talk] FBI cracked Tor security

Jon Tullett:
> It is, you know. More complex, and probably not suitable.
>
> Haroon Meer, who I greatly respect in the security space, describes
> UX complexity in terms of his mum. As in, "could my mum do this?"
> and if the answer is no, it's too complex for the average user. I
> like that.

while i'm entirely sympathetic to the "ease of use argument, i'd also
like to see setups like whonix mentioned. perhaps i'll give it a try
myself. for basic threat scenarios, it should be able to do a
comparison table on a web pageof what tor based tools are out there
and may be more desirable than just the browser (tails, whonix,
qubes+whonix, etc.).

as for the point about the mum, there is a long guide up at
http://yuxv6qujajqvmypv.onion that walks more novice/unexperienced
users towards a process of installing debian and whonix. it is
certainly not a "fast" process and is more complex than tbb alone.
However, if one's mum is willing to invest the time, they'll more than
likely install the system successfully.

> Because of that, I don't think it's possible, much less desirable,
> to describe the entire spectrum of use-cases. And even less
> possible to actually document the toolset appropriate for every
> point.

it doesn't have to be "all of them." but a few more details based on
experiences common enough to have been regularly covered by the media
certainly would not hurt.

> The key question to you, as someone advocating that specific
> toolset, would be: for what type of user is VirtualBox+Whonix the
> optimum solution, and how would Joe Random identify if he is that
> sort of user?

fairly simple actually. it's for anonymity focussed users who want to
add extra layers of protection against ip leaks while moderately
shrinking the attack surface for a persistent malware infection (if
configured correctly).  if one is simply using the browser to get
around a firewall and doesn't need the anonymity, probably not needed.

- --
gpg key - 0x2A49578A7291BB34
fingerprint - 63C4 E106 AC6A 5F2F DDB2 3840 2A49 578A 7291 BB34