Re: [tor-talk] Systematically finding bad relays (was: Anecdotical experience of SSH MITM)

Ooooooh, fascinating.

The academic paper is interesting and covers the high points of the
type of things you would want to look for. And some things you
wouldn't think that you should, like connection sampling rather than
binary "is sniffing" / "is not sniffing". (ha ha, n^2 fuckup)

Looking at the exitmap source, as I was curious what modules
existed....the problem I see is that it does not have modules that are
capable of the more difficult to pull off things like SSH honeypot
detection.

Should have called the damn thing "inverse-metasploit".

The idea is solid but the implementation has to keep up with the
times. Specific attack vectors like
CVE-2014-3566 (or any other sort of TLS/SSL downgrade attack) need to
be tested for, and all that. Which makes the "inverse-metasploit"
notion all the more compelling.

Other things come to mind like testing for binary patching (eg, ninja
exe patching).

Some of these things are easier to detect than others.

I'm going to put a pin in this and think about it.