Re: [tor-talk] torjail - run programs in tor network namespace

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 09:51:53AM +0200, bic wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to share a project made in _to hacklab.
>
> https://github.com/torjail/torjail

Nice! Very interesting.

> We would like to have some feedback about the project, particularly if you
> find some way to deanonimize a program running in torjail, please, submit
> an issue!

A few comments (take or leave them):

1) Tor 0.2.3 was deprecated many years ago, no need for checking the tor
version number or support for torrc options [0].
2) I enjoy the print output when it's configuring the namespaces, but
there's no need for so much yelling :) (s/TOR/Tor/) [1]

> print G " * Resolving via TOR"
> print G " * Traffic via TOR..."
> print G " * Creating the TOR configuration file..."
> print G " * Executing TOR..."

3) Keep in mind, using torsocks is not the same as using Tor's
transproxy.

4) Please be aware of the problem with using "tor" in the project's
name [2].

[0]
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases#Endoflife
[1] https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#WhyCalledTor
[2] https://www.torproject.org/docs/trademark-faq.html.en#combining

> [from readme]

[snip]
> # Firejail support
>
> We support a nice `-f` flag for uso firejail in pair wit torjail as
> security sandbox.

Have you looked at bubblewrap? It's a nice and simple namespacing
utility, too.

Thanks,
Matt