Re: relay tidbits...

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 03:41:26PM -0700, kyle.kwilliams@xxxxxxxxx wrote 6.1K bytes in 130 lines about:
: > I wonder if he's in the United States? If so, he could face serious
: > legal problems by having relayed child porn, and knowing about it
: > (instead of keeping his nose out, as a node operator always should).

Under Section 230 of the CDA, Tor should be protected as a provider of
an interactive computer service.  As there hasn't been a court case,
that I know of, this is unproven at this point.  There is plenty of
precedent to support this conclusion, however.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_230_of_the_Communications_Decency_Act

: I would rather know the truth and be able to make a decision about what I
: want to support than be blind sided by cops randomly showing up at my house
: claiming I did something bad and taking all my stuff.
:
: Recall the gentlemen from Germany that went through a huge amount of
: bullshit because someone abused his node.
: I don't want to be that guy.

And this is the classic "chilling effect".  If you don't want Tor to
exist in the world, harass those that do by arrest and confiscation.  I
believe in the incidents in Germany, every node operator was found not
guilty and in most cases, their computers were returned.

If you personally don't want to fight for online anonymity, that's fine.
I hope you won't discourage those that do.

--
phobos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx