Re: [tor-talk] Banned from IRC. Is there a work-around?

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 9:41 AM, David Carlson <carlson.dl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just tried to access a few IRC channels on a couple of different IRC
> servers (gnone.org, gimp.org, and their associates)and they all are
> giving me this same message:
>
> *** Banned: Open proxy or TOR (auto-detected tor-irc.dnsbl.oftc.net;
> pre-join gline) (2011/06/09 16.07)
>
> as well as being G-Lined (whatever that means)
>
> I think that I succeeded in attaching to irc.oftc.net so now I want to
> ask someone there about this but I got lost in the Tor documentation and
> I do not know what conversation to join there, so I am trying tor-talk.
>
> It appears that I am banned because either my IP Address or the address
> of whichever exit node might be delivering my traffic is 'on the list'
>
> Originally, Pidgin was configured to use the default connection
> configuration, but I re-configured it to use socks5 Host 127.0.0.1 port
> 9050 and I get the same result.

From my IRC experience's, unfortunately on the majority of the
published IRC networks, Tor IP address have been banned. You may get
logged in to the server, but generally, you will get klined or even
glined in a few minutes. ( the gline and kline are just a different
type of network ban )

This may vary from net work to net work and I have seen some actually
get thru and stay logged in. Obviously the Tor's channel on the IRC
network they are on as far as I know they have no issues with the
proxy's

If your looking for a IRC network to use Tor, you may have to just go
thru the posted listing of networks and see which ones let you in.

Sometimes it is also a hit and miss.   Gud luck