[tor-talk] Tor Browser Bundle 3.0alpha1 test builds

The new TBB 3.0 series is almost ready for its first alpha release!

Here are the major highlights of the 3.0 series:

 1. Usability, usability, usability! We've attempted to solve several
    major usability issues in this series, including:

    A. No more Vidalia. The Tor process management is handled by the Tor
       Launcher extension. If you want the Vidalia features, you can
       point an existing Vidalia binary at control port 9151 after Tor
       Browser has launched, and it should still work.

    B. The browser now uses a local about:tor homepage instead of
       check.torproject.org. A local verification against the control port
       is still performed, to ensure Tor is working, and a link to
       check.torproject.org is provided from the about:Tor homepage
       for manual verification as well.

    C. For Windows users: an NSIS-based extractor now guides you through
       the TBB extraction and ensures the extracted bundle ends up on your
       Desktop, or in a known location chosen by you. Hopefully this
       will mean no more losing track of the extracted bundle files!

 2. The bundles are all under the 25M gmail attachment size limit, so
    direct email and gettor attachments are once again possible.

 3. We now use Gitian to build the bundles. The idea behind Gitian is to
    allow independent people to take our source code and produce exactly
    identical binaries on their own. We're not quite at the point where
    you always get a matching build, but the remaining differences are
    minor, and within a couple more releases we should have it fully
    reproducible. For now, we are posting all of the builds for
    comparison, and you can of course build and compare your own:
    https://gitweb.torproject.org/builders/tor-browser-bundle.git/blob/HEAD:/gitian/README.build

Please try these out, test them, and give us feedback! The plan is to
post them on the blog by Monday, unless something goes horribly wrong.

https://people.torproject.org/~mikeperry/tbb-3.0alpha1-builds/official/

--
Mike Perry