Re: [tor-talk] hardware acceleration OK or not?

On 6/28/2014 4:54 AM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 01:27:50PM -0500, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
Hardware acceleration is unchecked by default it Torbrowser.

Other than some machines might not support it, is there a reason not
to enabled it?

Some fingerprinting or other issue?
which points to
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2013-June/thread.html#28620

Basically, some Windows systems were crashing when Tor Browser had
hardware acceleration enabled.

I think we made that change in TBB 3.5rc1:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-bundle-35rc1-released

See the (alas not labelled with a ticket number) line:
"Misc Prefs: Disable layer acceleration to avoid crashes on Windows"

It looks from the various tickets like the issue is not entirely sorted
for all users.

Thanks. Has it been determined whether hardware acceleration being enabled can be detected for fingerprinting purposes? I've had no TB crashes in Windows, but I'm also not sure there's any performance increase for typical internet usage in TB, whether hardware acceleration is / is not enabled.

Be careful! I think you asked here about hardware acceleration in Tor
Browser, aka our Firefox fork, but the man page you're quoting is for
the program called tor.

Yes - missed that in my haste.