Re: [tor-talk] Which reputable webmail providers function well with Tor?

carlo von lynX:
> One thing is the dragnet mass surveillance that feeds into
> XKEYSCORE for free. Hosting your mail at riseup or gmail means the
> contents or the fact you've been using crypto with somebody will
> get indexed for later use anytime in your life.

Well yeah assuming I am careless about how I do things and for that
they can identify who I am.

> The other thing is targeted interception of GSM traffic near the
> chancellor's office from the top of the US embassy building. We
> know that the 5 eyes can probably work themselves into most of the
> e-mail systems on earth, but at least it is an active act of
> intrusion - not provided by free by a regional law.

I do not think I need to say that there are a myriad of ways to
monitor and spy on someone especially when the desire exists to do it.

> If two people have their accounts with a well chosen provider
> outside the US, there is a vague possibility they can exchange
> messages that do not end up in XKEYSCORE. Even if they end up in
> somebody else's dragnet, then at least they're distributed better.

Does it matter where the accounts are located?  You still have to
trust the provider. Anyway XKEYSCORE should not be a problem when the
information you decide to send out in to the wild is handled properly.

> My general rule is we should all stop using SMTP, so I don't make
> recommendations on any specific offerings. I have my own server
> with my little collective, and that is a pain as well, because in
> this unfree Internet running your own server means getting bullied
> by the cloud servers for being a potential spammer or malware
> host.

Looks like your "general rule" is a hard one to obey am I right?