Re: [tor-talk] Is the recent growth in Ukrainian users confusing google's geoip?

On 18 June 2017 at 06:39, Roger Dingledine <arma@xxxxxxx> wrote:

For those who haven't been paying attention, we got a jump in some
> hundreds of thousands of .ua users recently:

> I wonder if a lot of ordinary people doing ordinary things via Tor,
> and acting like people in the Ukraine, has tipped Google's sekrit-sauce
> machine learning decision trees into labeling those IP addresses as
> being in .ua.

Or, indeed, there are people whose self-declared Google-account country of
residence is Ukraine, and enough of them have been logging into Google from
the exit node IP addresses for Google's geolocation tier to start
generalising.

I would think that this is very plausible, indeed.  No actual/serious
machine-learning required.

In other news, the FB Onion, for some time after it launched, geolocated to
London. I can't imagine why.

    -a

--
http://dropsafe.crypticide.com/aboutalecm