Re: [tor-talk] Improved sharing of .onion links on Facebook!

On 15 June 2017 at 20:03, xxx <torlist4@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I really wonder what is facebook doing with tor!
> They offer an entry page at https://www.facebookcorewwwi.onion/
> Every time I tried to signup, thay block the process until I submit a
> phone number to get a "confirmation sms"!
> Moreover, trying to enter a FB account opened "normally" (without proxy),
> no way! They even blocked my account immediately :)
> What is the interest offering to use TOR?!

I wrote this to explain why, ages ago; short version -- it's not about
anonymity:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/protect-the-graph/making-connections-to-facebook-more-secure/1526085754298237/

Also, possibly you got "blocked" but I suspect that it's more likely that
you got "checkpointed"; for people who may be interested:

- if there's a box asking you to answer some questions because something
apparently weird is going on, IT'S NOT A BLOCK.
- A "block" is when the site tells you "go away and never come back"
without recourse.
- If it's just asking you questions / to jump through hoops, it's trying to
protect your account in case you got hacked.
- Eventually it will learn.
- The funniest story was the time that Runa Sandvik got checkpointed
because Runa tried logging in one day *without* using Tor / the FB Onion:
https://twitter.com/runasand/status/728001665018802176
- More at https://twitter.com/AlecMuffett/status/757678012812894208

    - alec

--