Re: exit node only server

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 07:12:14PM -0500, Nick Mathewson wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 05:49:37PM -0500, Geoffrey Goodell wrote:
> > You provide a rant, I provide a screed:
> >
> > > At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I second (or third?)
> > > this idea.  There are a number of impelling reasons for changing the
> > > Tor architecture to a tit-for-tat construction:
> >
> > You are confused.
>
> Everybody is confused.  If you *aren't* confused about how to create
> incentive structures for volunteer-operated anonymity networks, you
> should let us know what the answer is.  :)

[snip]

> > I dare you to say this in an objective manner.
>
> Well, you could look at section 5 of our "Challenges" paper at
> http://tor.freehaven.net/cvs/doc/design-paper/challenges.pdf .  It's
> not been published yet, and there's as much speculation as anything
> else, but hey, it could be a start.

It might also be helpful to look at "On the Economics of Anonymity"
Or perhaps it will just leave you more confused. Anyway see the
tor.freehaven.net/anonbib/ or www.syverson.org for download.  It
explains (some of) the issues that have arisen in this discussion in
terms of anonymity incentives rather than just performance incentives.

aloha,
Paul