Re: Boulder Tech report on low-resource routing attacks on Tor

Hi all,
I've been thinking about how exit and entry nodes controlled by the same adversary can easily determine if they are in the same circuit due to the predictable nature of circuit set-up (timing). Well, what about altering that? Perhaps Tor nodes should form long-lived "exploratory" circuits (a la I2P). Tor should slowly extend these, with unpredictable timing intervals, perhaps over the period of dozens of minutes, or even hours. Most of these circuits are not completely formed, and thus should not be used to route data. Since there are many of these, if one dies (they are long-lived so chances of early death are not negligible), so be it. This will allow circuit formation timing to be less predictable. As an added benefit, a Tor node may have a number of 1-hop or 2-hop circuits that it can use at any time, and by extending those, instead of forming new, full-length circuits from scratch, we can make recovery from circuit failure faster.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Eugene

Thus spake Paul Syverson on Wed, 07 Mar 2007:

--
Eugene Y. Vasserman
http://www.cs.umn.edu/~eyv/