Re: how much traffic does an unthrottled middleman draw on 100 MBit/s?

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 09:09:31PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> I'm running a middleman (shrek) on residential DSL which draws some
> >100 GByte/month, with traffic shaping via pfSense and throttled via
>
> BandwidthRate 35 KB
> BandwidthBurst 35 KB
>
> , and consider adding another middleman on a 100 MBit/s line.
>
> How much bandwith use can I expect, if unthrottled?

Well, assuming it's got all the CPU/etc it needs, and is actually
on a *good* 100Mbps link... the highest throughput Tor server right
now is desync:
https://nighteffect.us/tns/router_detail.php?FP=50b738e290a4b97b492f30efbefba9d433f1b829
which is pushing about 2870 kB/s sustained on average (read+write / 2).

This adds up to a lot of bytes per month. :) And it looks like it's rate
limited by the default 3MB/6MB rate limiting, so it could be even higher
if the operator chose to raise its bandwidthrate.

If you don't give it enough cpu, or your network isn't actually 100mbit,
or it's 100mbit to the ISP but it's less to the rest of the Internet,
then it will be less. I know of several 100mbit connections that are
using 1500 kB/s, which is quite a bit different, and FoeBud ran one for
a while that could barely get past 1MB/s (they're at a different ISP and
happier now).

I'm not sure what features are most influential in causing some to be
really fast and others only sort of fast.

By comparison, the fastest middleman server right now is Tonga, which
is pushing 1848 kB/s sustained.

--Roger