Re: Example hidden service issue

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 08:52:26 -0700 Drake Wilson
<drake@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Quoth Karsten Loesing <karsten.loesing@xxxxxxx>, on 2007-03-31
>17:45:17 +0200:

>change the
>"localhost:5222".
>your hidden
>> >
>> > Sounds like a pretty bad idea to me too.
>>
>> May sound like a bad idea, but does no harm at all.
>
>Except that, as described earlier, HTTP 1.1 puts the destination
>hostname in the request, so Google will see the onion name, IINM,
>which causes the next paragraph---

Guys, this, noted in the original post is incorrect:

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: youronionaddress

When you contact www.google.com, your request goes like this:

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: www.google.com

You are telling the web server which web site to serve you, using
the name as an identifier. To clarify, The "HOST" field is not to
identify you, but to tell the web server you are connecting to
which website you would like (Since many servers host multiple
sites)

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Joe Kowalski