Re: [Fwd: Re: Howto limit number of connections?]

                                typo; should have said, "up"  ^^ :-(
>> system directly and using it as the router.  By the command you mentioned,
>> it appears that you are running some version of UNIX or LINUX, too, so you
>> might be able to something similar.
>>

>My tor-version is 0.2.0.34 and I'm running on FreeBSD RELEASE-7.1.

     Should work fine.  I'm running tor 0.2.1.12-alpha and FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE
(sort of).  I hope to install 7.1-RELEASE r.s.n., but there's a tremendous
lot of tricky work to accomplish the changeover in my case, and so I
procrastinate.

>The SiteCom router is provided by my ISP and is also used as wireless
>accesspoint for a few laptops, wireless printer and all my telefony stuff.
>The FreeBSD-box is connected to one of the fixed ports on the router.

     I assume then that the SiteCom device also contains a modem for cable
or ADSL or some such thing.

>It's a nice idea to use FreeBSD as primary router (or something else as
>Eugen Leitl suggested, thank you) but I'm not sure if I'm able to make
>it all work. Besides that, my ISP has probably some security hooks in

     Actually, it's pretty easy to do, especially if you use pf to handle
your NAT and RDR rules for your subnet(s).

>place related to the MAC-address of the router. So, going this way, I

     Hmmm...seems to me I recall seeing a way to fake the MAC address in
FreeBSD, but I don't remember where or how offhand.  Most ISPs allow some
small number of MAC addresses (e.g., 2 or 3) to be valid as long as only
one is directly connected at a time, so you might just want to ask your
ISP how to configure the SiteCom device to be a pass-through modem-only
device.  Tell them you would like to hook your own router up to it.

>might screw up. Besides that, my FreeBSD-box will be "promoted"
>to a production status and I won't be free to "play" (i.e. reboot) with it
>the way I used to.

     Bummer.  Any chance of finding another box that could be left up all
the time?

>Anyway, thanks for the answers!

     Quite welcome, of course.  Best of luck getting things set up in a
satisfactory way.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG