Re: [tor-talk] Verifying signatures

On 03/20/2012 01:46 AM, Achter Lieber wrote:
Hullo (',')

In light of some fairly recent postings about making it easier to verify signatures on new Tor downloads,

On 3/21/2012 9:35 AM, Christian Siefkes wrote:
On 03/21/2012 12:46 PM, Jude Young wrote:
Sorry if this has been responded to, I've lost a few emails...
I don't believe the TBB has been high-jacked, but the TorButton Firefox
extension certainly has.
(Forgive my faulty memory
linky:http://www.securitynewsdaily.com/1201-anonymous-hackers-child-porn.html)
"Anonymous" apparently convinced firefox (or someone at FireFox? No one was
ever clear on this..) to upload a modified version.
Uh, TorButton is free software, didn't you know that? Everybody can create
and distribute a modified version, and that's what happened. It certainly
proves that you shouldn't download software from untrusted sources (neither
the Tor Project nor Mozilla was involved) and that you should verify the
signatures of the software to use. None of that is news, of course.

Which was the point of OP, Achter. Perhaps it could be made easier, tutorials on the Tor site, etc., to verify signatures.