Re: [tor-talk] Multiple interfaces on a bridge/relay

Hi Andrew,

On 05.03.2013 04:16, Andrew Paolucci wrote:
> I have a Tor relay that I am going to be setting up soon for an
> organization I'm with

Great!

> 1. Should I have a VM for each interface I am going to have? If I don't
> need to how can I set this up to have bridges and relays?

Frankly, I don't see why you would want to run multiple relays on one
physical machine, unless you run into scaling problems (as Tor is not
yet good with multiple cores).

Anyway, you can use different VMs, but it is not a must. Personally, I
would run multiple instances of Tor in one VM. You can set up one Tor
for all your relays, and make it listen on all your interfaces (by
adding separate ORPort statements). You can do the same for your bridges
(separate ORPorts per bridge), but if you plan to add pluggable
transports like obfs2/obfs3, that will require one Tor process per bridge.

For a modified initscript that helps you manage multiple Tor processes
and configurations easily, see
https://www.torservers.net/wiki/setup/server#multiple_tor_processes

Will you be hosting exit relays? Pretty please?

> 2. I have 3 IPs that are separate from our main IP block and I wanted to
> make non-bridge relays, and up to 10 that are part of our main IP block
> that I was going to use for bridges. The problem is we are a
> Pirate political party and I'm not sure if those IPs in the main block
> would be blacklisted in countries like Iran/China because our website is on
> that IP block also. Should I put the nodes on my main IP block as relays
> and the ones separate as bridges?

Relays will obviously also get blocked in countries like China. So far,
we have yet to see a block that spans more than one IP, but it is quite
possible.

> 3. For the VMs what should the specs(RAM/HDD) be?

That depends on how much throughput you expect / what the bandwidth
limits are. For some numbers, see our relays at http://torservers.net/munin/

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/