Re: [tor-talk] (no subject)

1) I doubt you'll be able to run > 1 instance of TBB - at once - if that's part of what you want.
Others can correct me, if wrong.

WARNING: Be careful about what you modify in a TBB profile. You could compromise your anonymity. Making changes in about:config, etc., w/o *really knowing* how they might affect TBB's ability to preserve anonymity, could be risky.

If you tell us your main objectives are for multiple TBB profiles, maybe someone can make suggestions. Possibly, "don't do it." It depends.

Same for installing plugins, extensions. They may not observe instructions to use only the Tor network / port. Or may affect anonymity in other ways. Generally, the fewer modifications to TBB preferences / default options & the fewer extensions installed, the better.

2) "proxy server is refusing connections" probably has nothing to do w/ (any) profile manager. It doesn't choose how to connect - it only opens a profile you select (either from existing ones, or new one(s) you create), and uses the file & path you specify, to which ever version of Fx you want to use. It's possible that using profile mgr to start TBB, it bypassing the "start Tor Browser.exe" (or other files) & is causing some problem in connecting.
That might be fixable, but I don't have time to play w/ it.

3) If you just want multiple TBB profiles, you could install TBB to a few different folders, then customize each one. Start each TBB installation (w/ its own profile) by creating shortcuts for Start Tor Browser.exe, from each installation folder.

Again, some TBB modifications (say, to the UI) can make your copy of TBB look different than TBB with default settings, to sites that query, log & compare browser characteristics. For purposes of developing a browser fingerprint so you can be identified later on the same site, or at other sites run by the same people, or that are monitored by tracking companies / "profile builders."