Re: [tor-talk] Crowd Sourced Protest Of Cloudflare

On 3/29/2016 6:01 AM, me@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On 29.03.16 07:23, CANNON NATHANIEL CIOTA wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/TOR/comments/4cdx30/crowd_sourced_protest_of_cloudflare/

I simply don't visit a website if Cloudflare gets in the way.
Agree - especially in principle. Unfortunately, there are far more unknowing (ignorant) or uncaring users than ever will be Tor or "TBB type" users. Users willing to allow anything sites want, just to view them. Many would probably put in their drivers license #, if asked. I doubt Cloudflare will lose much sleep over Tor users.

When I talk to people about this (many quite educated), their general feeling is, "I sort of expect anytime you go on the internet, you'll be watched." When I explain there are fairly simple ways to at least stop tracking, profile building, stop ISPs from monitoring activity - if not elude LEAs - they usually say it's too much trouble, or, "Aw - what're ya' gonna do?" As in, "I just accept it" - even though it's wrong; I strongly disagree w/ the practice(s) in principle; or, "Yep, Big Brother is watching."

Example: the site, Nextdoor.com, a social site that groups people by locality, asks for *SSN* as one way to verify you live at a particular address. You're supposed to give your REAL address, so also have your *real name* (probably), and maybe phone # / credit card / email / SSN. Not every member uses SSN method, of course, but users are lined up to give phone #, credit / debit card # (how dumb can they get), email.

All of which is tied to a *real name & address.* As The Church Lady says, *"How con-veee-ient!"* ( Dana Carvey, Sat. Night Live). If not now, someday that info will be sold or "leaked" / hacked to or by marketers, internet crime groups & who knows what else.

Their privacy / terms of service policies spell out what info they gather & how they use it. I doubt most read or understand them.

*Verifying your address (nextdoor.com)*

To verify your address on a *web browser*:

 1. Visit the address verification page
    <https://nextdoor.com/unverified/>.
 2. Select one of the following options:â
      * With a phone call to either your mobile phone or your
        landline - Free and instant
      * With your credit or debit card - Free and instant
      * With your *_Social Security Number_* - Free and instant
      * With your email address via LexisNexis - Free and instant
      * With a postcard sent to the address you registered with -
        Free, but takes a few days