Re: [tor-talk] CloudFlare blog post

On 3/30/2016 10:01 AM, Philipp Winter wrote:
I also wonder how effective your CAPTCHAs really are. Deep learning techniques suggest that bots are about to become just as good, or even better, at solving CAPTCHAs than people. Therefore, I wonder if a long term solution should also center around the question if the distinction between people and machines is still meaningful.
The bots couldn't be much worse at solving some sites' captchas than me.
Can't get worse than 0% success (on some sites).

I'm not so sure on some sites, they're not just jacking w/ TBB users. Sometimes, when the solution is quite clear, it reports entries as wrong - multiple times. When that happens a couple of tries, I just leave - assume they don't want me (Tor) there. In TBB or Firefox, if it's not a "must see" site, I often immediately close the tab when cloudflare captcha shows.

While on other sites, I get right in w/ TBB - sometimes when captchas are difficult. Of course, you have to allow JS & sometimes a few trackers besides the site & Cloudflare (it seems). Most sites make money off the trackers. If the trackers can't follow TBB users from site to site (per their business model), what incentive do the sites have for allowing TBB users? Or why would the trackers pay sites for the traffic due to from TBB, when they can't gather the same valuable data as avg users in unhardened browsers? For sites worried about making $, it makes perfect sense to me why they wouldn't want TBB users taking resources.

At times, Cloudflare or some sites may say, "Gee, whiz - we're not blocking TBB intentionally. We're working on a solution." But I don't buy that 100%. It's possibly just a politically correct excuse vs. saying, "We can't track you around the globe / make $, so we don't want you taking up bandwidth or other resources (like site tech support, etc.).

And for all the other sites that don't use Cloudflare (or other unsolvable captchas), but don't block TBB, if _"90+% of all Tor traffic attempts something malicious_," then how in the world do all those sites stay in business / stay up & running? Unless hackers have vendettas against only certain sites or high value targets, which is why they hire Cloudflare in the 1st place.