Re: [tor-talk] CloudFlare blog post

On 3/31/2016 12:25 AM, Andreas Krey wrote:
On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 15:19:09 +0000, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
At times, Cloudflare or some sites may say, "Gee, whiz - we're not
blocking TBB intentionally.  We're working on a solution."
But I don't buy that  100%.  It's possibly just a politically correct
excuse vs. saying, "We can't track you around the globe / make $, so we
don't want you taking up bandwidth or other resources (like site tech
support, etc.).
It would be quite a lot of effort to do that this way, especially since
the (preliminary) outcome is the same - sorry, it won't work any better.

What I wonder is how they want to make a difference using .onion addresses
for their customers - tor crawlers can take that redirect just so.
Andreas, sorry - don't understand part of your comment.
"It would be quite a lot of effort to do... *what?*... this way... - sorry, it won't work any better." Are you saying they it's a lot of effort for them to block Tor / TBB? Or any browser - with any particular addons / plugins, settings, for that matter? I'm no expert, but IIUC, it'd be very simple. Just script, If Browser=TorBrowser, then captcha response = "incorrect." Or TBB users must enter correct captcha a minimum of X times before accepting, etc.
And for all the other sites that don't use Cloudflare (or other
unsolvable captchas), but don't block TBB, if _"90+% of all Tor traffic
attempts something malicious_," then how in the world do all those sites
stay in  business / stay up & running?
90% of tor traffic isn't 90% of total traffic.
True. Neither CloudFlare CEO nor I said it was. He said, " ... "94% of requests that we see across the Tor network are _per se_ malicious," (what ever he means) w/o backing up the statement. Again, if what CloudFlare CEO said is true, I don't see how other sites not using thier captchas & blocking Tor, keep running. I've seen Cloudflare on low value target sites, like wood screw mfg info sites & similar. Unless other screw mfgs are sabotaging them, I doubt much malicious activity is directed at such sites.

94% is saying essentially ALL Tor traffic / requests are "per se" malicious or use inordinate amt of resources. That leaves me & 6% of users that aren't. Maybe ? he's counting crawler *individual* requests - page by page - as malicious? They might make many more requests than real users, thus the 94% claim?

His statement(s) & reasoning about blocking Tor still seem strange. As they say, "follow the money trail." "Money trumps all other reasons / motives." I still say trackers aren't going to pay sites for TBB traffic. Don't say, "You're using Tor - get lost" - bad for public relations. Instead, play dumb & covertly discourage (some) Tor users - so they access the site w/ unhardened browsers.

Can't sites tell the difference in actions of crawlers & real users?
I'm sure some use browsers other than TBB for crawling & malicious activity. Can't sites block / time-out crawlers from continuing to access entire site, once it becomes apparent - regardless of which browser?

I get "time outs" from making 2 very narrow term searches in < 2 min. or so, on some sites I'm registered on & participated - for a long time.
Why can't sites do the same w/ crawlers' rapid, repeated requests?

  Also, e.g. those sites
will just see that the email addresses they publish are getting spammed,
but they won't even make the connection to crawling via tor.

Don't get the connection between this & the issue of Tor being blocked by Cloudflare.