[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
[tor-talk] Tor 0.3.3.4-alpha source code is released
There's a new alpha Tor release available as source code! Because it's
an alpha, you should only run it if you're ready to find more bugs
than usual, and report them on trac.torproject.org.
The source code is available from the usual place on
www.torproject.org; if you build Tor from source, why not give it a
try? And if you don't build Tor from source, packages should be ready
over the coming days, with a Tor Browser alpha release likely by some
time in April.
Here's what's new:
Changes in version 0.3.3.4-alpha - 2018-03-29
Tor 0.3.3.4-alpha includes various bugfixes for issues found during
the alpha testing of earlier releases in its series. We are
approaching a stable 0.3.3.4-alpha release: more testing is welcome!
o New system requirements:
- When built with Rust, Tor now depends on version 0.2.39 of the
libc crate. Closes tickets 25310 and 25664.
o Major bugfixes (relay, connection):
- If we have failed to connect to a relay and received a connection
refused, timeout, or similar error (at the TCP level), do not try
that same address/port again for 60 seconds after the failure has
occurred. Fixes bug 24767; bugfix on 0.0.6.
o Minor features (geoip):
- Update geoip and geoip6 to the March 8 2018 Maxmind GeoLite2
Country database. Closes ticket 25469.
o Minor features (log messages):
- Improve log message in the out-of-memory handler to include
information about memory usage from the different compression
backends. Closes ticket 25372.
o Minor features (sandbox):
- Explicitly permit the poll() system call when the Linux
seccomp2-based sandbox is enabled: apparently, some versions of
libc use poll() when calling getpwnam(). Closes ticket 25313.
o Minor bugfixes (C correctness):
- Fix a very unlikely (impossible, we believe) null pointer
dereference. Fixes bug 25629; bugfix on 0.2.9.15. Found by
Coverity; this is CID 1430932.
o Minor bugfixes (channel, client):
- Better identify client connection when reporting to the geoip
client cache. Fixes bug 24904; bugfix on 0.3.1.7.
o Minor bugfixes (compilation):
- Fix a C99 compliance issue in our configuration script that caused
compilation issues when compiling Tor with certain versions of
xtools. Fixes bug 25474; bugfix on 0.3.2.5-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (controller, reliability):
- Avoid a (nonfatal) assertion failure when extending a one-hop
circuit from the controller to become a multihop circuit. Fixes
bug 24903; bugfix on 0.2.5.2-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (networking):
- Tor will no longer reject IPv6 address strings from TorBrowser
when they are passed as hostnames in SOCKS5 requests. Fixes bug
25036, bugfix on Tor 0.3.1.2.
- string_is_valid_hostname() will not consider IP strings to be
valid hostnames. Fixes bug 25055; bugfix on Tor 0.2.5.5.
o Minor bugfixes (onion service v3):
- Avoid an assertion failure when the next the next onion service
descriptor rotation type is out of sync with the consensus's
valid-after time. Instead, log a warning message with extra
information, so we can better hunt down the cause of this
assertion. Fixes bug 25306; bugfix on 0.3.2.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (testing):
- Avoid intermittent test failures due to a test that had relied on
onion service introduction point creation finishing within 5
seconds of real clock time. Fixes bug 25450; bugfix
- Rust crates are now automatically detected and tested. Previously,
some crates were not tested by `make test-rust` due to a static
string in the `src/test/test_rust.sh` script specifying which
crates to test. Fixes bug 25560; bugfix on 0.3.3.3-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (testing, benchmarks):
- Fix a crash when running benchmark tests on win32 systems. The
crash was due to a mutex that wasn't initialized before logging
and options were initialized. Fixes bug 25479; bugfix
o Minor bugfixes (warnings, ipv6):
- Avoid a bug warning that could occur when trying to connect to a
relay over IPv6. This warning would occur on a Tor instance that
downloads router descriptors, but prefers to use microdescriptors.
Fixes bug 25213; bugfix on 0.3.3.1-alpha.
o Code simplification and refactoring:
- Remove the old (deterministic) directory retry logic entirely:
We've used exponential backoff exclusively for some time. Closes
- Improved the documentation of AccountingStart parameter. Closes
- Update the documentation for "Log" to include the current list of
logging domains. Closes ticket 25378.
tor-talk mailing list - tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To unsubscribe or change other settings go to