Re: Some legal trouble with TOR in France

I will admit that I'm not quite sure what the fear is with this - reformatting it makes sense in case they installed evil software, but there's no reason to burn it or securely wipe it or whatever if you think that's all that's wrong with it.

I suppose they could technically have installed a hardware monitoring device, but I find it very *very* unlikely that they will have bothered. What's the chance that they'd have that kind of an expert on staff? I'd say, open it up, disconnect cables, see if they've added anything to the cables, reconnect it all, reformat the hard drive, and stop worrying about it.

I mean, okay, they *could* have installed a new hard drive controller chip with a built-in cellular antenna to broadcast your credit card details to the Illuminati. But they could also hire a ninja to break into your house at night, steal your cat's food, and hide your TV remote. (Or, for that matter, install a new controller chip.) At some point you just have to say "this is silly" and stop being paranoid.

-Ben

Ringo Kamens wrote:
Well burning it doesn't do is completely (unless it's molten and then mixed with other stuff). You should securely wipe it with a magnet and then melt it. In this case, just wipe it about 100 times and then sell it.