Re: new TOR seems excessively chatty

Roger Dingledine wrote on 05.05.2007 15:22:
> On Sat, May 05, 2007 at 01:50:23AM -0400, Freemor wrote:
>>   I recently upgraded to"tor 0.1.2.13-2~dapper" and although it works
>> very nicely it seems very "chatty". by chatty I mean download 200+ KB
>> every minute from DIR servers. That's gonna add up to a lot of traffic
>> on my ISP account that has a bit cap (60 GB/mo so not worried too much).
>> is there some way to curtail this "chattiness".. if not I'll have to
>> stop leaving tor running all the time.

<...>

> In the mean time, can other people check to see if they're getting
> this behavior? I would expect that 0.1.1.26 clients might also be
> seeing it.

Not me, but one of our users at pgpru.com reported the same issue in
respect to the latest stable release. He correlated excessive
"chattiness" with dizum directory unreachability and client's attempts
to download its status.

Roger, if you need additional information, I'd ask the user to generate
relevant logs.

> Thanks,
> --Roger

Cheers,