Re: Regulating bandwidth

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 11:09:29PM -0400, phobos@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 10:41:53PM +0200, olaf.selke@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote 0.4K bytes in 13 lines about:
> : instead of spending time programming fancy features like a "CPU limit" I
> : suggest to focus on how to make better use of multiple cpus/cores most
> : modern computers are equipped with. The OR I'm running is limited by cpu
> : horsepower cause the main thread entirely eats up one cpu leaving three
> : cpus being almost idle.
>
> 	Look into the NumCPU parameter.  From the man page:
>
> "NumCPUs num
> How many processes to use at once for decrypting onionskins. (Default: 1)"

Yeah, Olaf already knows about the numcpu option:
http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/May-2007/msg00069.html

He is right that we need to think about how to offload more of the
computation onto other threads. But concluding that is the easy part. :)

The hard part is: what computations can we offload?

--Roger