Re: Reregister after key change?

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 11:50:12PM -0500, Scott Bennett wrote:
>      On Fri, 16 May 2008 04:11:15 +0200 tor@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >I seem to remember that, when I set up my tor node, the instructions
> >suggested to register the node name by sending an email to somewhere. In
> >the docs currently online I don't find this request anymore.
> >
> >Anyway, since I changed my onion key because of the ssl vulnerability
> >should I send another email somewhere?
> >
>      The onion key isn't the problem here.  tor changes onion keys every
> so many days anyway and uploads a new descriptor when that happens.  It's

Sorry, I mixed that up but I deleted all keys, hence also the signing
key

> when you change the signing key that there is a problem because that is
> the permanent key that is tied to the identity of your server in particular.
> If a descriptor is sent to the authorities that has a different key for
> your server, tor treats it as the descriptor for a new server that happens
> to have the same nickname and IP address as the old server.  In other words,
> to thinks that there are two servers claiming the same nickname.  If the
> older one is marked as Named in the authorities' directories, then the new
> server will likely be warned that its nickname is a duplicate of a legitimate
> server and should probably be changed.

I haven't seen any warnings regarding my own name in the logs. I guess
my 'registration' never really happend.

I noticed all (most) of my familymembers (nodes at the same colo) do
have two entries and the logs also warn about this. I assume the old
identities will eventually expire? Tor mentions that they are not
'named', at least some of them.

bitonion01