Re: [GSoC] Improving Snakes on a Tor

Hi there John - glad to have you working with Tor! We're really anxious to see where you go with this project since, as exemplified by the recent incident with PrivacyNow [0], we're currently pretty miserable about noticing and flagging bad exits.

Unfortunately our definition of a bad exit is pretty vague [1]:
  "BadExit" if the router is believed to be useless as an exit node
    (because its ISP censors it, because it is behind a restrictive
    proxy, or for some similar reason).

An easy place to start would be to solicit input on or-talk for a better definition and enumerable attributes we can look for. Some obvious starting ones would be ssl stripping, certificate tampering (checking for differences like the Perspectives addon [2]), and bad DNS responses. I'd imagine Scott Bennett would be glad to jump in with some more ideas. :)

Also, have you thought about setting up a site or blog where people can check how things are coming along? Here's what I did when doing GSoC with the SIP Communicator project: http://www.atagar.com/misc/gsocBlog/

Again, glad to have you and looking forward to working with you this summer! -Damian

[0] http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Apr-2010/msg00120.html
[1] http://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git?a=blob_plain;hb=HEAD;f=doc/spec/dir-spec.txt
[2] http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~perspectives/index.html