Re: Family specifications (was: Re: perfect-privacy.com, Family specifications, etc)

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 01:31:47PM +0200, tor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote 0.9K bytes in 19 lines about:
: >From what I understand, yes, at the moment both "partners" have to list
: each other. That's what the fuss is all about, because this becomes hard
: to manage when you run a lot of nodes.

Yes, this is how MyFamily works.  Each node in the family must be
configured to list all other nodes in the family.  If I start up node
Alice, and list Bob and Mallory in MyFamily, Bob must list Alice and
Mallory, and Mallory must list Alice and Bob.  If Mallory lists Alice
and Bob, but neither Alice nor Bob list Mallory, it's not a valid
Family.  Otherwise, Mallory could list every node in the network and
screw everyone.  Or list all nodes in the network but 3 and shunt all
traffic through those 3, etc.

--
Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project