Re: [OT] another proxy, but not open source :-(

I seem to recall that something called haystack, with a remarkably similar webpage was the software and donations portal developed by @austinheap during the Iran election. Since Heap's twitter is still linked from the haystacknetworkcom page, I assume that this project remains the offspring of that effort. I can't comment directly, but I recall that the effort seemed pretty legitimate at that time. I assume that it's still legitimate, even if not free software in the strictest sense. The Censorship Research Center is San Francisco non-profit, started by Heap. They do have a contact form on their about page: http://www.censorshipresearch.org/about/

While I think that free (as in speech as in Stallman) software is the best way to go, I can understand why someone of good intentions might think otherwise. I reckon that haystack is not a malicious honeypot, or cynical effort to relive people of their cash. However, I do think that the project may not be overly successful, and that donations would do more good elsewhere.