Re: [tor-talk] tor-resolve for hidden service: is the right behaviour?

> However it seems that tor-resolve always return an IP address for .onion
> IP, regardless the fact that the hidden-service exists or not:
> privacyresearch:~# tor-resolve test.onion
> 127.192.0.4

The above usage and result seems quite broken...

./tor02130/bin/tor-resolve -v amd.com
[debug] main(): defaulting to localhost
[debug] main(): defaulting to port 9050
163.181.249.32

./tor02130/bin/tor-resolve -v kpvz7ki2v5agwt35.onion
[debug] main(): defaulting to localhost
[debug] main(): defaulting to port 9050
[warn] Got SOCKS5 status response '4': host is unreachable
[warn] Resolve requests to hidden services not allowed. Failing.
[warn] kpvz7ki2v5agwt35.onion is a hidden service; those don't have
IP addresses. To connect to a hidden service, you need to send the
hostname to Tor; we suggest an application that uses SOCKS 4a.

> My question is: It would be possible to have tor-resolve be able to
> check if the hidden-service exists or not by resolving it to an IP
> address or by returning "non existing host" ?

tor-resolve is not designed for that. It would be better to have a
more general onion info tool shipped with Tor or, minimally, provided
by a third party. Such as the 'sdfetch' one mentioned in the subject
of a recent thread on this list.