Re: [tor-talk] World IPv6 Day June 8th, torstatus.blutmagie.de w/o IPv4 for one day

On 31/05/2011 22:46, Olaf Selke wrote:

> to support World IPv6 Day I intend to limit torstatus.blutmagie.de
> connectivity to IPv6 on Wednesday next week. My plan is to remove the
> IPv4 A record from dns for 24h, leaving the AAAA record behind. The
> machine will keep its IPv4 address and the Apache web server remains
> bound to the IPv4 interface. I think this will do the trick. People who
> really rely on the Tor network status site might use their local hosts
> file for IPv4 address resolving.
>
> Missing IPv4 probably will break tons of bots accessing the php main
> page, ip_list_exit.php, and ip_list_all.php from all kind of profit
> organizations (companies), law enforcement, governments, and military
> domains. I don't care about that.
>
> torstatus.blutmagie.de is working v4/v6 dual stacked without any known
> problems for six months. I'm aware that the site will be unreachable
> from the Tor network as a collateral damage.
>
> Are there any reasons this undertaking might be a bad idea?

I thought the point of IPv6 Day was for sites to go dual stack for the
day to uncover any potential problems with the migration procedure to
IPv6, and to spread awareness? Going IPv6 only will just create
unnecessary problems for people imo, and is not what other sites are doing.

Mike

--
Mike Cardwell https://grepular.com/  https://twitter.com/mickeyc
Professional  http://cardwellit.com/ http://linkedin.com/in/mikecardwell