Re: [tor-talk] orbot vs. tor

On 08/05/12 03:24, Rhona Mahony wrote:

> If Orbot can transparently proxy traffic from an Android phone--browser, chat, email--why can't Tor do it for a laptop or desktop?  Incorrect premise?

On a "normal" Android device, you need to configure each app to use
Orbot via the proxy settings. However, on rooted devices, Orbot has
access to transparently intercept communications on a per app basis. I
believe it uses iptables, but I could be wrong.

You can do the same thing using the standard Tor client on desktops, if
you're using a decent operating system like Linux or BSD. You just need
to use the "TransPort" and "DNSPort" Tor options (see the docs), and
then use Linux's iptables or BSD's pf. The same isn't possible on
Windows. However, I believe it is possible to set up a virtual machine
on Windows running Linux/BSD and route your traffic through that for
transparent Tor access.

--
Mike Cardwell  https://grepular.com/     http://cardwellit.com/
OpenPGP Key    35BC AF1D 3AA2 1F84 3DC3  B0CF 70A5 F512 0018 461F