Re: [tor-talk] google analytics says it can track across separate domains

On 5/19/2012 3:16 PM, Mike Perry wrote:
Thus spake Mike Perry (mikeperry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx):

Thus spake Joe Btfsplk (joebtfsplk@xxxxxxx):

A few months ago, someone raised the question of TBB or any included
addon not blocking web beacons / trackers and perhaps something like
Ghostery should be included in TBB (I think).  I asked about beacons
(web bugs) compromising anonymity (not to mention privacy).  Can't
find the post, but I believe either Mike or Roger replied that it
shouldn't be an issue because web beacons, like Google Analytics,
can't track from site to site.  Hope I've got the essence of the
reply correct.
Yes, that is correct. We consider the ability to link user activity
across different url bar domains a violation of our design requirements
(https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser/design/#privacy), and
any ability to do so is a major bug.

Unfortunately, there are a couple such bugs we're already currently
aware of:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?keywords=~tbb-linkability

We'll fix them, eventually. Help is always appreciated, though.
Oh, I should also mention
https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser/design/#identifier-linkability
as the laundry list of linkability mechanisms we've already at least
partially fixed.
Thanks. Then thinking about the cross domain tracking ability of web beacons (or that they could) must have changed since this was last discussed. At that time, as memory serves, regarding beacons in general & idea of using Ghostery or something similar in function, it was said to be a non issue for Tor users.:-)

The design document draft, dated Dec 28, 2011 doesn't seem to mention web beacons. Other than in a non specific way, the document doesn't seem to address how to handle them. They aren't cookies, so don't fall under cookie control (in current or future browser designs). Yet, they can track across domains. A lot of users (Tor & non Tor) don't understand this nor are even aware of them.

Presumably, as they are loaded w/ pages, even w/ disk cache turned off, they can still be stored in memory cache & still track users, unless memory cache is disabled. True?

Is there a reason that using Ghostery, or similar technology, couldn't or shouldn't be used until / if a design change in Tor / TBB prevents web beacons from being loaded w/ pages? Perhaps the downside of using an addon like Ghostery out weighs the benefits for TBB users? I'm not married to it, but haven't seen many other similar solutions for beacons. Disable ALL image loading...

It does have options not to auto update blocking elements, if updating during * critical * Tor sessions was an issue. Other than that, I'm not an expert. I think the concept of web beacons is extremely deceitful for any browser & should under consideration by Congress to be banned, as are evercookies. In the mean time... what about looking into Ghostery, etc., at least w/ suggested settings until something better is devised by Tor Project?

Re: Flash LSO cookies in Windows. The Dec 28, 2011 design document mentions,
Flash cookies...

*...Implementation Status:* We are currently having difficulties <https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/3974> causing Flash player to use this settings file on Windows, so Flash remains difficult to enable.

If you can't get Flash to use a settings file - for now - maybe next best thing is education. I'm thinking there should be a prominent file in TBB, containing a number of IMPORTANT changes that users should make; name it something like "you better make these changes or you may die.html," that opens w/ a new browser install. The storage settings for Flash are fairly straight forward, w/ a little explanation, even though users must go to Adobe's site to change them (tricky, huh?). Even I could write / "borrow" instructions on how to change settings in Windows Flash manager, for better privacy. Cookies & disk storage can be prevented totally, but if you del the "settings" cookie, all Flash settings revert to default.