Re: [tor-talk] No Ident response on IRC when using Tor

Runa A. Sandvik, 24.05.2012 17:58:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Sebastian G. <bastik.tor>
> <bastik.tor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I used to be able to (mis)use the TorBrowserBundle's Tor to connect to
>> OFTC with PChat (Xchat fork). Note: I don't use the hidden-service.
>>
>> It's some time since I visited the IRC channels, I don't know which TBB
>> worked.
>>
>> It fails with "tor-browser-2.2.35-12_en-US" and with
>> "tor-browser-2.2.35-7.1_en-US". I also tried 0.2.3.15 alpha.
>>
>> I always get:
>> * Connected. Now logging in...
>> * *** Looking up your hostname...
>> * *** Checking Ident
>> * *** No Ident response
>> * *** Found your hostname
>>
>> That's not related to OFTC, since I get "No Ident response" on other IRC
>> services as well. Some even let me in.
>>
>> OFTC however does not:
>> * Closing Link: [any exit name] (No more connections permitted from your
>> host)
>> * Disconnected (Remote host closed socket).
>>
>> I got and tried different exits as well.
>>
>> Without Tor (any proxy) I can connect and get an Ident response.
>> Therefor I guess it is not the firewall.
>>
>> I'm on Windows 7 (64bit) and PChat has not changed since I was able to
>> connect. tor-browser-2.2.35-7.1_en-US is from February 2012 and I was
>> only after that date. I use SSL but did so before.
>>
>> I'm not sure if it's the right place, but I don't know what's wrong.
>
> Someone (connecting over Tor) was spamming in #tor on OFTC earlier,
> might be related.

Thank you for replying. It shouldn't be related to OFTC.

I get "No Ident response" from any IRC service I tried when I use Tor,
but without Tor I do.

I later checked if the reduced exit policy could be responsible for
that. Ident uses port 113 and it's not included in the reduced exit
policy, but that might be not the problem.

I don't know since when the reduced exit policy is in place, but I
edited the config (torrc) to use only "wau" as exit. It allows almost
any port, according to Atlas.

Best regards,
bastik_tor